Please click here to access the results of the Environment Council which took place on June 12 2013.
Main results of the Council
The Council reached a political agreement on a draft directive amending the current legislation (directive 2001/18/EC) as regards the possibility for member states to restrict or prohibit the cultivation of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in their territory. The aim of the proposal is to provide a sound legal basis in the related EU legal framework in order to allow member states to restrict or prohibit the cultivation, in all or part of their territory, of GMOs that have been authorised or are under authorisation at EU level.
The Council held a public policy debate on a Commission communication for a 2030 framework for climate and energy policy. The aim of the debate was to help define elements for the final package. The presidency will report on the outcome of the ministerial discussion to the President of the European Council with a view to the European Council meeting of 26-27 June 2014, which will take stock of progress towards final agreement by October 2014. Ministers also held a first public policy debate on two legislative proposals (directives on medium size combustion plants and on national emission ceilings), which are part of the Clear Air Programme for Europe. The aim of the programme is to further reduce the impacts of harmful emissions from industry, transport, energy plants and agriculture on human health and the environment.
In addition, the Council adopted conclusions on Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), with a view to preparing for the three CBD related international meetings to be held in Pyeongchang (Republic of Korea) in September - October 2014.
Cultivation of genetically modified organisms
2030 framework for climate and energy
Clean Air Programme for Europe
Convention on Biological Diversity
– CO2 emissions from maritime transport
– Doha amendment to the Kyoto Protocol
– Plastic carrier bags
– International meetings and events
– Endocrine disruptors
– Highly fluorinated substances
– Work programme of the incoming presidency
OTHER ITEMS APPROVED
– Tax reductions for spirits locally produced in Madeira and the Azores
– Tax exemptions and reductions on products from French overseas departments
– Tax exemptions and reductions for local products of the Canary Islands
COMMON SECURITY AND DEFENCE POLICY
– EULEX Kosovo
EJUSTICE AND HOME AFFAIRS
– Eurojust annual report - Conclusions
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA
– Amendment to protocol 31 to the EEA agreement (civil protection mechanism)
– Amendment to protocol 30 to the EEA agreement
– Relations with ACP states
– Position of the EU in several international fisheries management commissions
– Partnership between EU and Mozambique - Negotiations for a renewal of the protocol