5 questions with... Davor Škrlec
Hiking, teaching and a very special backpack.
Davor Škrlec | Photo credit: European Parliament audiovisual
1. What is the smallest change you have made in your career that has had the biggest positive result?
When I decided to leave the stable position of university professor and start a political career in order to make a better world for everyone.
2. What one item would you save from your house or apartment/ house if it was on fire?
My grandfather, who survived both World Wars, advised me to store all important documents in one bag which I can always take with me. So, all important documents that prove who am I, and of course important family photos are in this backpack at my home.
3. Is there anything you have personally achieved or done that would surprise people?
In the summer of 2016 I walked the Camino de Santiago, which is 800 km long. It was a personal and spiritual experience which changed my behaviour and set my life in the future.
4. What is the most humbling thing you have experienced in your career?
Harassment in my political party after I refused to be an obedient political servant.
5. What do you do in your free time to relax and unwind?
Hiking is how I prefer to relax in my free time, not just to climb to the top of the mountain but also to learn about nature and protect nature.